Halloween is also a good time to have a little fun with your dog, get your creative juices flowing, and turn heads with a unique costume.
We've compiled a few easy to do thrown on costumes if you don't have time, as well as some DIY costumes if you are in the mood for a little project.
DIY Unicorn Dog Costume
A fluffly white dog in whimsical unicorn outfit. (Source)
The majestic unicorn is a classic favorite and one that’s sure to attract many oohs and aahs. Thankfully, it’s also super easy to turn your pup into this beloved mythical creature.
Here’s a simple way to make your own unicorn costume for your dog:
- Start with a pastel-colored dog shirt to use at the base for the costume. The Clouds Knit Dog Sweater in lilac or something similar would be perfect.
- Wrap some white tulle around your dog’s torso, making sure to keep it from dragging on the ground or getting stepped on. Alternatively, you can use a child’s tutu and trim it to the right length.
- Lastly, roll a piece of shiny gold fabric into a cone for the horn and cut up some rainbow-colored yarn to make some hair. Create a headband to secure these onto your dog’s head. Or, you can stick them onto a beanie hat to make sure it’ll stay on.
The most important part of this get-up is to get the golden horn and rainbow hair right. Check out this step-by-step guide for a foolproof way to do it.
DIY Dinosaur Dog Costume
An undeniably good doggo wearing a dinosaur outfit made using a dog t-shirt. (Source)
Turn your dog into a supposedly fierce but actually very endearing, treat-devouring dinosaur. You don’t even need any sewing skills to get this done, but you’ll surely end up with plenty of praises.
Here’s an easy way to go about it:
- Start with a dog hoodie that fits your pup well. This Shark Monster Dog Hoodie in green camo would be an awesome place to start, but any piece of clothing with a hood should work just as well.
- Take some felt and cut off diamond shapes that you can fold in the middle to create the dinosaur spikes that go along the back of your dog.
- Create smaller spikes that will go on top of the hood.
- Sew on or use hot glue to secure the spikes, making sure to position them along the center of the hoodie.
- You’re basically done at this point, but you can opt to go further by adding spots or other design details that will surely make your DIY dog costume one of a kind.
Still unsure about how to make this? Here’s a quick and easy guide for how to turn a dog hoodie into a super cute dinosaur costume.
DIY Garden Gnome Dog Costume
A mini golden doodle posing as a garden gnome. (Source)
The garden gnome is one of the easiest magical creatures to recreate. And, they’re perfect for dogs because these lawn figurines are said to provide protection and bring good luck.
- Start with a red sweater or jacket. The WOOF Dog Hoodie in red has the perfect shade, although any other similarly colored clothing should be fine.
- Take a large piece of felt and roll it into a cone, just like a party hat.
- Then, create a long white beard by cutting faux fur into the right shape.
- Use a piece of string or garter to attach the beard onto the hat. Make sure the space between can easily accommodate your dog’s head.
- If you’re inclined to go further, you can make toadstools to use as additional props or create a pot of gold for your gnome to protect.
For a more detailed guide on how to make this, check out this detailed but easy-to-follow tutorial.
DIY Giant Spider Dog Costume
A black pug looking terrifying yet irresistibly cute as a giant spider. (Source)
Regular-sized spiders are scary enough, but can you imagine one that’s dog-sized? That would be horrifying! Except yours would be extra silly and fun.
This Halloween, you can turn your pup into a terrifying but overwhelmingly cute scurrying giant spider. All you need to do is follow these directions:
- Start with a dark-colored harness your dog feels comfortable in. The Yogawear Dog Harness in grey would be a fitting base for this outfit.
- Take eight pieces of the largest chenille pipe cleaners you can find. The black ones are perfect, but no one’s stopping you from having a yellow or pink-colored spider!
- Loop one end of a pipe cleaner around the center of the harness (the area that is positioned at the dog’s back when worn).
- Repeat this with three other pipe cleaners until you have 4 spider legs on one side.
- Do the same on the other side so you have 4 legs per side.
- Shape each of the legs by bending them to look like spider legs. Typically, they are bent twice as if having knees and ankles. Keep adjusting until you get the look just right.
You can also follow this video tutorial to learn about how to make a giant spider dog costume using pipe cleaners.
DIY Fairy Dog Costume
A standard poodle looking like a magical princess in her fairy costume. (Source)
Sprinkle some pixie dust and spread some joy by turning your sweetheart into a beautiful, magical fairy. Fairies are known to spread positive energy, which surely matches your dog to a T.
Follow these steps for an easy do-it-yourself fairy dog costume:
- Start with a pink long-sleeved dog shirt. If you think that might be too hot for your dog, stick with a harness. The Yogawear Dog Harness in pink would make this costume not only fit well but also look good.
- Take a long piece of thick wire. Or, you can use an old wire hanger by cutting off the head where it hangs on the rod.
- Bend the wire and shape it so that you end up with two diamond shapes that meet at the center.
- When you’re happy with the shape, place the wire on top of your choice of fabric. The more whimsical the fabric, the better.
- Roughly create an outline you can use to cut out the fabric.
- Once you’ve cut out the fabric, sew it on or use hot glue to secure it to the wire.
- Use glitters, lace, paint, and whatever materials you want to glam up your fairy wings.
- Use a piece of felt to secure the wings onto your dog’s harness.
- Make last-minute adjustments to the shape of the wings, if necessary.
Need even more detailed instructions? Check out this guide for how to make fairy wings using wire hangers.
If you’re not the DIY-type or you just don’t have the time or energy for it this year, there’s always Spark Paws gear to get your pup all swagged out. They’re probably already the most charming kid on the block anyway and a little bit of snazz will surely make them the talk of this year’s Halloween party.
Need some inspiration? Check out these adorable personalities
All Pepsi the Frenchie needed was a pair of board shorts, spiffy sunglasses, and blinged-out gold dog jewelry to look like a celebrity on vacation.
These American Bullies look like they’re livin’ the bully life as they chill out wearing the WOOF Dog Hoodie in red and black along with quirky heart-shaped glasses.
All Carlos needed was a bandana, a Cuban Link Chain and a Teddy Bear Hoodie to instantly transform his persona and up his street creds.
This Amity French Bulldog had a few too many drinks last night. Thankfully, his Cotton Candy Dog Hoodie, Tylenols and sunglasses is making him look chill AF.